Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Sometimes, you just have to let go of the break...

I am not a huge fan of exercising, well I take that back, when I feel motivated to, I enjoy exercising, but it is not the first thing I think about each morning. Typically I run a couple miles, and consider that my "exercise".

So the other day I was not feeling the whole running thing, so I grabbed a bike from our garage (I don't know why, maybe having two younger brothers? but we have a large fleet of bicycles in our garage. Old, new, broken, being worked on...), snatched Courtney's iPod (i HAD an iPod, but it decided to jump out of my bag back in November, and I have yet to purchase a new one...), and went out on a bike ride. To be completely honest, I was not working very hard, just peddling enough to keep going, listening to music, enjoying the sunshine, not being THAT biker that enjoys riding NEXT to the sidewalk in the street thinking they're part of traffic. ANYWAY. So riding along, I started to notice how much I loved being able to sing out loud, along with the songs that were blaring in my ears. (When I am running, 1. I do NOT like nor do I want to talk to anyone, 2. I am usually gasping for air while running, 3. These cause me the inability to sing while running.)

*That doesn't even have anything to do with my story...well kind of!?


THE HILL.
Off in my own little world, thinking, talking to God, sining, trying to switch songs while riding, I went all over the area where our house is. I really wasn't going all that fast but I came up to this part of a sidewalk off of Maple where there is a pretty steep hill going down then back up. To be completely honest I was getting a tad hesitant about going down it.

Thinking if I should turn around or go another way, but I kept going. While approaching this hill I had my hand firmly on the back break... just in case! Finally I was going pretty fast and at that point I started letting my hand off of the break a little, getting faster, and faster. In the valley-esque part of this killer hill, my feet were hanging down, the wind blowing my hair in every which way, my heart was beating a little faster, then I started to peddle faster to get up the rest of the hill. It was lovely.

After riding down/up this hill I continued down to Inkster and then up and finally back down Maple, to the "hill" again to get home. The second time was even better, because I knew what was coming and I just went full speed down letting my feet hang down and I felt like I should be a little kid riding bikes during the summer without a care in the world.

THE FREEDOM.
SO that was the "hill". (This is where the music, iPod, singing loudly, part comes in...) While riding down this hill on my way back home, in my ears I could hear the song "Freedom Is Here" by Hillsong. I love that God can use something as simple as going down a hill on a bike with a certain song in my ears to remind me of the freedom I have (WE HAVE!) in Him. For the less than thirty second rush of wind in my face I got going down this hill two times I felt FREE.

My hands weren't on the breaks. My feet weren't peddling. I'd like to say my eyes were closed, because that would have been sweet, BUT I would have gone off the side of the sidewalk, through a fence, & into a river... BUT all that aside, along with all of this greatness making me feel like I was a little kid again, I was (at this point probably screaming) the words to this song,

"In my life as we lift You higher Let Your freedom arise In our lives as we lift You up Sing it out Your freedom is here..."

Continuing down Maple, I couldn't help but keep replaying that line over & over in my head (even after the song was over.) "FREEDOM, IS HERE."



"...creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God." [Romans 8:21]

No comments: